About Garland

About Garland

Our Company

  • 1864, the Garland Line began in a small Foundry in Detroit, which grew to become the Michigan Stove company in 1873, and produced over 200 varieties of stoves under the name GARLAND.
  • 1893, the Garland Stove was unveiled at the World’s Fair. It now is on permanent display in the Michigan State Fairgrounds.
  • 1925, Detroit Stove Works and Michigan Stove Company joined to make the Detroit-Michigan Stove Company. The Garland line is one of the only brands remaining.
  • 1952, a distributor was established in Toronto, Ontario. The new company was one man, Russell Prowse. With faith, enthusiasm and a trunk full of catalogues, Prowse established a Garland manufacturing facility within one year.
  • 1955, Welbilt Company purchased the Garland name and moved the US production line to Maspeth, New York. The Canadian production also continued to grow.
  • 1973, the Garland Line outgrew the NY facility, and a new plant, Garland Commercial Industries, was built in Freeland Pennsylvania.
  • 1995, Garland Group is formed.
  • 1996, Berisford PLC acquires Webilt Company.
  • 2000, Berisford PLC changes its name to Enodis PLC.
  • 2008, Garland became part of Manitowoc Foodservice through the acquistion of Enodis PLC by The Manitowoc Company.